Friday, September 27, 2013

Ditching the diet mentality (or at least trying to)

Day 27!
I'm in the home stretch for this challenge. My Facebook friends are already talking about a new 30 day challenge for October. I have to put some thought into what my next challenge will be. Stay tuned.

Anyhoo...

Yesterday, I mentioned that I was hanging out with my favorite photographer and friend, Karise Allen. Here is a photo of us last night at happy hour looking very happy :)




Happy hour is one of my favorite things to do! There was a time when I would go every week. Now I go once every 4 - 6 weeks with friends when our schedules allow. Last night we started at the Cheesecake Factory. Now you know there is nothing half way healthy in that restaurant and certainly not on the $5 happy hour menu at the bar! I indulged with the Tex Mex Eggrolls. 



Deep fried greasy goodness. I tried just to eat the inside of the egg roll and avoid the fried flour tortilla, but honestly, that was the best part! They were pretty tasty, but I woke up this morning totally regretting eating that appetizer. 

Ugh.

As a person who is constantly working on ditching the diet mentality, it was really bugging me that I was so bummed about eating the stupid eggrolls! As a person who is NOT on a diet and eats pretty healthy 90% of the time, I should have just enjoyed the splurge just as much as I enjoyed hanging out with Karise. But no...I could not shake the guilt and shame of that splurge.

How many calories did I consume last night?
Oh the amount of fat on the plate!
I want to check the nutritional values online...

This was the record that was playing in my head all morning until I just STOPPED, took a deep breath and consciously switched my focus away from what I ate. No use in lamenting over what was consumed. Also, I know that as I was stressing about what I ate, my body was absorbing the stress which can result in inflammation. We no likee inflammation. 

I turned my focus to what was good instead of focusing on what was bad (or so I thought). I started to think about all the things I was grateful for. 
My feet that move me around all day.
My gut that digests the food I consume.
The sweatabulous workout I completed this morning.
The paycheck what was just deposited in my account.
The gorgeous fall weather.  

Pretty soon, I started to feel better. I just wish I remembered to focus on the good as soon as I started to feel bad. 

Baby steps...

Now, on to today's green smoothie recipe. 
2 c dandellion greens
1 c frozen organic blueberries
1/2 tsp matcha green tea powder
1 tbsp hemp seeds
1/4 organic cucumber
1 scoop Super Collagen powder (my newest addition!)
1/2 scoop Jay Robb Egg White protein powder (unflavored)

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I can definitely relate to feeling guilt when indulging...it's so hard to stop that process of beating yourself up, isn't it? Good for you for switching off the negative self talk and moving on!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...