Friday, September 20, 2013

Switch up the greens

Days 19 and 20!

I may have missed writing about it, but I didn't miss drinking it. "It" would be my yummylicous green smoothie. Today's post will have recipes from yesterday and today.

I recently read an article, WHY YOU SHOULD ROTATE YOUR GREENS, which explains why it's important not to drink the same concoction every day. For the past 18 days, I've pretty much been using spinach and kale. After reading this article, I decided to switch it up a bit. I had some leftover romaine from my chopped-salad-everyday-for-lunch obsession so I used that in Thursday's drink. I never would have thought to use romaine lettuce, but I read the following on Simple Green Smoothies:

"Romaine lettuce is a nutrient rich leafy green that is good for your heart and low in calories. The vitamin C and beta-carotene content help to lower cholesterol and prevent build up on artery walls, which reduces the risk of heart attack. Being low in calories also helps you lose weight while keeping you full."



I mixed romaine lettuce with kale and it was pretty good. 

1 c chopped kale, stems removed
1 c romaine lettuce
1/2 beet
1/2 c fresh pineapple
1/2 banana
1 tsp Maca powder
1 serving Amazing Grass Organic Wheat Grass
1/4 c chopped walnuts 
1/2 c carrot juice
1/2 c water

FUN FOR THE DAY
Almost forgot about this but yesterday, I had an evening event to go to with the beau. Rather than putting on dress pants and top, I put on the cutest, sassiest dress I own; a new addition to my closet compliments of the stylists at Stitch Fix. Unfortunately, I don't have a good photo with me in the dress, but it's so cute! It's very retro (not my usual style), but feminine. When I wear it again, I'll be sure to get a photo.

Day 20
Today I tried a new green - dandelion greens. A bunch of organic greens cost $2 at Whole Foods so I figured that was worth a try. According to Simple Green Smoothies, dandelion greens are bitter but high in calcium. I made sure to add a banana and stevia to counteract the bitter taste. 


1 c dandelion greens
1 c chopped kale, stems removed
1/2 beet
1 tbsp hemp seed
1 tbsp walnuts
1/2 frozen banana
1/2 organic bosc pear
1 serving Stevia Kal
1 c unsweetened almond milk

FUN FOR THE DAY NIGHT
Date night with my boo! The weather is great and we're headed to center city for dinner and whatever else comes our way!

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...