Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Power of Bulk

Someone recently asked me, "Isn't it expensive to buy all those ingredients for your smoothies?" 

Personally, I don't mind spending a little more when it comes to my health and well being, but no, it's not that expensive to buy a bunch of ingredients for my smoothies. 

I buy in bulk. 

Yes, you can buy goji berries, nuts, flax seed in pretty packages, but in most Whole Foods, you can buy these items in bulk. When I first started buying these foods, I would store them in plastic zip lock bags to keep them neat in my kitchen cabinet.

Now, I have graduated to air tight containers made by OXO, which I LOVE. You can buy them in most stores, but I like to get them from Bed, Bath, and Beyond because you can use one coupon per container. If you didn't know, those coupons NEVER expire. I keep a stack of them in my car. 

These containers are BPA free and I use the big ones to store my flours, almond, coconut and garbanzo bean, in the refrigerator. The smaller ones I use in my cabinet to store grains like quinoa, oatmeal, and millet. I store all my nuts, chia seeds and goji berries and separate containers and I even have one for my stash of dark chocolate.  Here is a photo of my cabinet and my growing collection of OXO storage containers.




In case you're wondering...yes, I am still drinking my green smoothies! I don't have one every day, but I do drink one a few times a week. Because the seasons have changed here on the east coast, I don't always want a cold green beverage for breakfast. This morning was a perfect example of that. I made a warm bowl of quinoa porridge (just like oatmeal except I use quiona) first. Then, I made a green smoothie to sip throughout the morning. Gotta get my daily dose of wheat grass in!

1 tsp matcha green tea powder
5 or 6 organic frozen strawberries
1 tbsp chopped walnuts
sliver of ginger
1/2 c water

#greensmoothielove
#quinoaporridge

2 comments:

  1. How did you make the quinoa porridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sheila, I cooked it just like oatmeal. 1 c quinoa in 2 c water. After it cooked, I spooned out my serving, put it in a bowl with a little unsweetened vanilla almond milk, raisins, walnuts, raw honey and cinnamon. Heated everything in the microwave for 30 seconds. Delicious!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...