At one point, I poo pooed drinking straight coconut water because of the carbs. Now, since I am on a quest to break the diet mentality, I realize those carbs work FOR me rather than AGAINST me during my workouts. Honestly, there aren't even THAT many carbs in CO2!
Now understand, coconut water and coconut milk are two different products of the coconut. Coconut WATER is the clear liquid in the center of a young (green) coconut. If you grab a coconut from the tree, crack it open, the water is what will come out.
Coconut MILK is created when you blend the white fleshy meat of the coconut with water. Check out this recipe on how to make your own coconut milk.
Now that you have a bit of background on coconut liquids, let's get back to the topic at hand. Why do I drink coconut water during my workouts?
1. PREVENTS DEHYDRATION
Coconut water is super hydrating. When you sweat as much as I do when working out, staying hydrated is extremely important. It's 95% water! Rehydration allows you to push yourself a bit further in your workouts.
2. PREVENTS MUSCLE CRAMPS
It also contains a ton (yes, that's a very scientific measurement) of electrolytes. Who needs Gatorade or Powerade with all that sugar and artificial coloring when you can drink pure, refreshing coconut water? It's also rich in natural salts like potassium and magnesium. Studies have shown that coconut water has five times more potassium that some popular sports drinks.
3. IT TASTES GOOD!
Like I mentioned earlier, it's a bit more interesting than plain old water. I have a 16 oz. reusable water bottle I take to the gym with me. Before my workouts, I fill it up with 8 oz. of coconut water and 8 oz. of filtered water and I'm ready to rock and roll.
Next time you have an intense, sweatabulous workout planned, drink some coconut water and see if you notice a difference. If so, leave me a comment and tell me about it!
Cheers!


I LOVE coconut water! I never thought about mixing it with regular water during a workout. Good tip!
ReplyDelete